Skip To Main Content


Our Mission

Standing on our rich traditions to provide a nurturing environment that encourages all students to set high academic standards while building lifelong relationships within our community

Our Vision

Tradition of Academic Excellence and Lifelong Relationships

Our History

A date for our first school is not known. We know that there was a school in the community in 1894. It was on the hill on Big Springs Road across from the Paul S. Neal Ball field. The children all attended the school from the time they were small. No one is alive to tell the exact date the school began.

The school was one room. Mrs. Clark was the teacher. She taught all grades and would teach older children as long as they wanted to come. She taught Latin and Algebra to the older children. The children would come to school four months in the fall and in the spring. Each child had to pay to come to school.

In the spring of 1914, at the request of the patrons of school, Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Waters taught a four month subscription school with an enrollment of a little over forty pupils (probably housed in the in Scruggs building). Mr. Frank Murphy, Mr. John Ship, and Mr. Ed. Blair, the district leaders, elected Mr. and Mrs. Water to teach the fall term of five months. This followed in the Spring of 1915 with a four month subscription school. This procedure was followed from year to year with the same teachers in charge until the Wilson County Schools succeeded the district directors in 1921.

Each year saw a number of grades taught and an increase in enrollment. At this time the school was taught in the building where Mr. and Mrs. Carl Scruggs later lived and was bulging with students. So, in 1921 a new building was built by private subscription except for the thousand dollars furnished by the State of Tennessee.

The first building on the present grounds burned in 1924. The county replaced it and that building burned in 1928. The county then replaced the building for a third after a fire in 1959. In 1960, a modern school was built. Two local churches housed students until completion. It included electric heat, indoor bathrooms, a modern kitchen, and two extra classrooms. The first year in the new school building only had three teachers.In 1984, a new wing was added, providing a new library and much needed classrooms. The library was dedicated in memory of Mark White, an eight year student at TXR, who died in a car accident in 1984. Another wing was added in 1995, which provided classrooms for Kindergarten thru third grades. This wing was dedicated in memory of Stephen Skeen, another eight year student of TXR, who perished in a car accident after returning to the community after service in Operation Desert Storm. In 1997, a new gym was built and a large cafeteria was added to the school. The library was moved to the old cafeteria in the 1999-2000 school year. The old library became the music room. The music room was dedicated to Mr. Tony Cook upon his retirement in 2015. Fast forward to the present. We see that TXR is still a central part of the community. The school serves over 400 students and it still growing.